JQuery Datatables

June 3rd, 2014 | by Joshua Archer |

Docc Howard – JQuery Datatables

http://ned.highline.edu/~docc4sho/212/none/tutorial.html

1. 3 Responses to “JQuery Datatables”

2. By Ryan Harmon on Jun 9, 2014 | Reply

1. Were you able to successfully complete the tutorial? What issues or challenges did you face?
    Yes I completed the tutorial. Although, the pictures did take quite some time to load, and a long time to come into focus. As someone with minimal experience with html this was a major problem for me too! Until Paul set me straight. Use Photoshop and ‘save for web’ and select .jpg this will reduce your size as well as the way the image is compiled to help it load faster. I like the way you showed the code and then the output, it was easy to follow even for a novice. I would have liked if the code was not in images, and just showed the output in screen caps.

2. Summarize what you learned from the tutorial.
    I learned how to use JQuery to format a data table. I learned to encapsulate my Jquery in tags. As well as make a link call to the stylesheet and define the JQuery library.

3. Did you find the tutorial useful and helpful? Why or why not?
    It was easy and automatic. This is a useful tool!

4. What did you like most about the tutorial? (Be specific.)
    It was very straight forward with a step by step approach. You told me what to do, and then what it should look like along the way. I like that you showed me an example of a completed table before we started so I knew what to expect. In Sales we have a thing called ‘the art of the demo’ the steps are: ‘Predict, Prove, Confirm.’ You did a great job presenting the info in that format.

5. What about the tutorial could be improved? (Be specific.)
    Resize the images, move code outside the images for cut/paste. Other than that this is great.

3. By Patrick Hougardy on Jun 11, 2014 | Reply

1. I was not able to successfully complete the tutorial. After typing in what was displayed in the pictures I was left with a plain html table. I don’t know enough about javascript to troubleshoot what I did wrong on my own.
    2. I picked up a little of the javascript syntax and saw how jquery is referenced between head tags. I also gained insight into how some of the neat looking tables and functionality is gained in websites I’ve visited.
    3. I liked the wording, not too dry but balanced between technical writing and plain speech that kept it interesting. I also like that Docc took the time to explain more of what was happening in the background than necessary so I would understand better.
    4. I looked at the HTML provided with the tutorial and it didn’t match up to the screenshots printed, I don’t know if this is an artifact of Komodo edit being added if they were indeed separate. Also, making plain text examples instead of pictures would make it easier to copy/paste, but that might not be ideal for a tutorial I suppose.

4. By Patrick Hougardy on Jun 11, 2014 | Reply

3 actual – I found the tutorial useful, even though I couldn’t get it to work. If nothing else I got to write out some of the code and become a little more comfortable doing so.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.