Autostereoscopy

August 1st, 2013 | by Jodie Le |

Dave Rehm – Autostereoscopy
http://ned.highline.edu/~avatarofbro/emertechfinal/default.html

1. 5 Responses to “Autostereoscopy”

2. By nmallis2012 on Aug 1, 2013 | Reply

1. Were you able to successfully complete the tutorial? What issues or challenges did you face?

I believe I successfully completed the tutorial; I wasn’t sure because it just seemed to end suddenly.

2. Summarize what you learned from the tutorial.

I learned about autostereoscopics and a little more about the Nintendo 3DS and how it works.

3. Did you find the tutorial useful and helpful? Why or why not?

I would find this tutorial more helpful if I hadn’t already learned a lot about it. It’s a cool concept, I just wish it was taken a little further.

4. What did you like most about the tutorial?

I really liked the first couple of page transitions and needing to “tap” the top screen to continue. That was pretty slick! I also really appreciated you taking the picture, because it really personalizes the tutorial.

5. What about the tutorial could be improved?

I wish the tutorial had a little more, like additional pictures, or explaining the barrier screen on the 3DS, or even just a little conclusion paragraph to let the viewer know that the tutorial was done instead of it just ending.

3. By gordon_bw on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

I got a kick from Dave’s humor in his tutorial on autostereoscopy. I was able to complete the tutorial in short order. My main challenge with his tutorial was the font size main text used for the front page. There was plenty of empty space, and a larger font would have made it much easier to read for me.

What I learned was that Dave owns a Nintendo 3DS. I already knew a good deal about autostereoscopy (or as Dave stated, “glassesless 3D” before I took this class. I researched a good deal more when I wrote my submission on the topic a few weeks ago. I honestly found no additional technical information in Dave’s tutorial.

I found the tutorial interesting and entertaining, but not useful for the reasons stated in the last paragraph. Dave made reference to the barrier technology used by Nintendo, but made no reference to the lensing technology being used by others to develop prototype designs.

What I liked most about Dave’s tutorial was his humor, and his personal connection to the subject. The only place where I felt his small font was applicable was the fourth line of his title, “It is”. A tutorial should be entertaining along with informative. His use of photos of his own 3DS was also a nice touch, adding visual interest to the piece.

As far as improvement, I would have liked to have seen more information on the different efforts being applied to autostereoscopy. While the Nintendo is the only commercially successful use of autostereoscopy to my knowledge, it is not the only product out there. (Take the Philips 55” autostereoscopic, lenticular, LCD display. http://www.usa.philips.com/c/professional-products/140-cm-55-inch-autostereoscopic-3d-full-hd-bdl5571vs_00/prd/en/) I’m a technology motivated person, and found technological information lacking in Dave’s presentation.

4. By sy357 on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

I was able to successfully complete the tutorial and didn’t face any challenges.
    What I’ve learned from this tutorial is the Autostereoscopic 3D displays images very close to one another transmitting it to the user’s eyes. Also, a person with one eye cannot view an image on a Nintendo 3DS because one eye cannot support the visual effects from the Autostereoscopic.
    The tutorial was very helpful and was written very thoroughly. I thought the information was very simple to where I can understand clearly.
    4. What did you like most about the tutorial? (Be specific.)
    What I like most is how I can click on the screen of the Nintendo 3DS on the page and it will take me to another page in which it showed a split screen of the 3DS. It was awesome!
    5. What about the tutorial could be improved? (Be specific.)
    I’m not so sure about this area. I would like to know how to create Autostereoscopic but it would make the tutorial pretty long. I would probably create links for the home page in a way that I wouldn’t have to click the back button to get to the home page. Overall, I loved the tutorial.

5. By avatarofbro on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

I appreciate the kind comments written here, and as far as the criticism is concerned, well, you’re right. I could have explained the technology better than I did and I accept that. I most likely misunderstood the guidelines and tried to keep it to about an hour’s worth of work. however I was apparently incorrect.

6. By coreyare on Aug 12, 2013 | Reply

1. Yes I was able to complete the tutorial with no issues or challenges.

2. I was able to learn the technology again but get a grasp from the authors perspective of how it worked.

3. I did as it gives knowledge about the technology in a perspective thats universal, even though we already discussed this in class.

4. The visuals, they were really handy to get a grasp of what its like, especially the DS screen image map!

5. This technology is outside the scope of most of us, so I am not sure how to do a decent tutorial on it without taking hours of a time, so I would suggest trying to create a simple 3d image with this technology.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.