A Quick Game Maker Tutorial

August 1st, 2013 | by Jodie Le |

Corey Richards – A Quick Game Maker Tutorial
http://ned.highline.edu/~coreyare/CSCI102/final/gmweb.html

1. 3 Responses to “A Quick Game Maker Tutorial”

2. By gordon_bw on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

I read through Corey’s tutorial on “A Quick Game Maker. At first, I was impressed as it seemed to be a real, concise presentation of how to use this utility to design and play your own game. I found it challenging though to gain a real understanding of how to use the utility or what results it could produce, as it was not interactive as the text of the tutorial indicates, it contains repeated sections, it has many unreadable terms within it due to the inclusion of symbols that HTML will not reproduce on a Web page, and the hyperlink at the bottom is an opportunity for me to spend money and buy the actual product.

I learned that there are programs out there that will allow you to fairly simply design your own games. I would have to do some research on my own to determine if I could resell any games I were to design, if the designs are portable to other systems, and how playable these games might actually be.

I found the tutorial interesting in appearance, though impractical to actually follow. The continued use of the phrase “demonstrate your knowledge by clicking” when there is no opportunity to click on anything is frustrating.

What I liked most about Corey’s tutorial was his use of graphics of the actual application. He seems to have a pretty good grasp on the concepts of creating a game with it.

As far as improvement, it would be far more useful if the tutorial were as interactive as it eludes itself to be. Also, I would suggest a review of the content to eliminate the redundant graphics and text. Additionally, edit the text with non-readable characters. Some text when copied and pasted into an HTML tag will not render as intended in an actual Web page. Finally, fix the link at the bottom of the page. I was hoping to see a demonstration of a game you had actually created, but was greeted with an offer to either “Buy Now!” or “Upgrade Now”.

3. By sy357 on Aug 8, 2013 | Reply

1. Were you able to successfully complete the tutorial? What issues or challenges did you face?
    As far as the tutorial goes, I was able to complete the tutorial. There weren’t any issues or challenges for me because I am pretty familiar with this kind of technology.
    2. Summarize what you learned from the tutorial.
    The tutorial was pretty simple. I learned how to make my own game using Gamemaker which allowed me to create my own sprite, sound and effects. Though I am quite familiar with this program it was pretty fun learning it all over again.
    3. Did you find the tutorial useful and helpful? Why or why not?
    The tutorial was pretty useful being that it didn’t just have instructions, but it also had pictures for the users to follow which is more accurate to me.
    4. What did you like most about the tutorial? (Be specific.)
    What I like most about the tutorial is that it was more simple and easy to follow with pictures reassuring the users of how to use the program. Some instructors don’t even use these same steps.
    5. What about the tutorial could be improved? (Be specific.)
    It would be nice to see some references of how the idea of the game was brought up. Also, having multiple links to explain what the program does or show references, and then a tutorial of how to use it would be nice. Overall, I think the tutorial was great.

4. By avatarofbro on Aug 11, 2013 | Reply

* I completed this tutorial because the first thing I saw was “Game Maker,” and literally thought it was one of the coolest things. The closest thing I’ve ever used to something like that was RPG Maker XP / VX, and they seemed too complicated to me. This was an absolute breath of fresh air for me as an aspiring designer.
    * I learned that it’s a lot easier to get involved in video game development than I had thought it was. You also don’t need to be a genius to be able to come up with something simple, it’s pretty easy to get a hang of.
    * SCREENSHOTS. SCREENSHOTS. SCREENSHOTS.
    * What I liked was that there really wasn’t much that wasn’t covered as far as learning the software is concerned. Corey explained a lot of the details as well as WHY they needed to be done the way they were. That was extremely important and I’m glad he didn’t forget it.
    * Literally the only thing that bugged me were the random weird characters floating around where I think there should have been quotes. That’s legitimately it; this was AWESOME. Seriously.

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.